- Maria Mourani, Ph. D.
- Criminologist and sociologist
- CEO and Founder
Member of the-OPCQ
Maria Mourani graduated in clinical criminology at the University of Montreal. She holds a master’s and a doctorate in sociology. Recognized for her expertise on jihadists, street gangs, organized crime and human trafficking, she has worked with organizations related to public security and led several National Security issues in the Parliament of Canada as a federal MP . She is the author and sponsor of Bill C-452, amending the Criminal Code to protect victims of sexual exploitation and human trafficking. She was a parole officer for Correctional Service Canada both in detention and in the community. She also worked with the Centre jeunesse de Montréal. She was also the Representative of the Government of Quebec in the Permanent Delegation of Canada to UNESCO.
Au cours de son parcours professionnel et académique, elle a mené plusieurs recherches sur les gangs de rue, le crime organisé, la traite des personnes et la prostitution, notamment juvénile. Elle est l’autrice de quatres livres sur le sujet : La face cachée des gangs de rue, Gangs de rue inc., Milena Di Maulo. Fille et femme de mafiosi et Opération Scorpion.
Since 2010, Maria Mourani has been interested in the phenomenon of youth engagement in jihadist groups. She did her doctoral thesis on this subject at the University of Ottawa.
In 2016, she created the first private criminology firm in Quebec.
Field of practice of criminologists
Do you know that criminologists can perform various tasks? Consult the list on the OPCQ website.
At Mourani-Criminologie, we perform, among other things, the following activities:
- Evaluation of the effects of a criminal act (criminalized or not) on a victim ;
- Establish an intervention plan and ensure its implementation ;
- Support and restore the social capacity of an offender and a victim to promote social integration ;
- Evaluate a person with a mental or neuropsychological disorder attested by a diagnosis or assessment by an authorized professional ;
- Evaluating a person as part of a decision of the Director of Youth Protection or the court under the Youth Protection Act ;
- Evaluating a youth as part of a court decision under the Youth Criminal Justice Act ;
- Conduct information, promotion and prevention actions with regard to social problems with individuals, families and communities ;
- Évaluer le risque de récidive d’un individu accusé d’un acte criminel et effectuer des recommandations aux tribunaux ;
- Développer des méthodes d’aide aux victimes d’actes criminels et à leurs proches ;
- Conseiller les autorités et leur suggérer des mesures à prendre pour prévenir la délinquance et favoriser la réadaptation sociale de la clientèle visée ;
- Do research.
Mourani-Criminologie works in compliance with the Code of Conduct of criminologists as established by the OPCQ.